Oh,
the life of a starving college student. I can barely fill my gas tank... I
definitely can’t afford to shop for the same item 20 times over after my $10 Mossimo cardigan unravels off my body.
 |
| Mossimo |
 |
| Nordstrom |
 |
| Anthropologie |
|
That
being said, today I’m going to convince you that, while bargains are a beautiful thing, investing is a very necessary part of being a thrifty shopper. The best example I have is my all-too-loved cardigans. I’ve got many, but most notably: one from
Zara-Italy, one from H&M, and one from J. Crew. Guess which one I’ve had since I was 14? (I’m now nearly 22).
Answer:
J. Crew
My
sweater has lasted me for 8 years. The others? Well for starters, they don’t
feel as nice against my skin or look as beautiful and my
first H&M sweater I purchased was discolored and faded after a dozen washes.
 |
| J. Crew |
At
$120.00, I’ve worn the J. Crew cardigan at least 600 times. No kidding. Now I'm going to explain something called "cost-of-wear." When you purchase an item, you pay a set amount. Every time you wear that garment, you divide the garment price by the days or number of times you wear it. That
means that for my J. Crew sweater, the cost-of-wear (so far) is approximately $0.20. Needless to say…I’m definitely getting my
money’s worth. If I only purchased H & M cardigans, I would need to
purchase them more frequently because of the cheaper quality. I would most
likely end up spending more money in the long run.
Now
the other thing to keep in mind when investing is…buy CLASSIC garments. What’s
the point in splurging on some weird cut-out, shredded top that will look more
homeless than fashionable after the month’s fad is over. No point. Exactly.
Cardigans, coats, staple shoes (tennis shoes, flats, boots, round-toed pumps),
and jeans are just a few of the items worth investing in.
 |
| Asos.com |
 |
| Asos.com |
 |
| Asos.com |
 |
| Asos.com |
 |
| Asos.com |
 |
| Asos.com |
Now…which
would YOU buy?
Go
forth and shop beautifully.
-Kristina
No comments:
Post a Comment